• Ballymurphy inquest: Wounded man feels responsible for deaths

    A man has told the Ballymurphy Inquest he holds himself responsible for the deaths of two other men who tried to help him.

    Bobby Clarke was shot and wounded on 9 August 1971 as he was helping families with children leave their homes in Springfield Park.

    The area had come under attack from crowds in the nearby Springmartin area and houses had been damaged.

    Later, heavy gunfire broke out.

    Mr Clarke was hit whilst crossing waste ground between his home and nearby Moyard Park.

    He explained that he had taken a child to safety in a nearby street and was on his way back to his own area.

    Although he survived the shooting, two of the men who went to his aid were shot and killed.

    One was 38-year-old Father Hugh Mullan who had been attempting to help Mr Clarke and give him the last rites.

    The other was 19-year-old Francis Quinn who had run out to Mr Clarke along with others.

    Their deaths are the current focus of the Ballymurphy Inquest which is examining 10 deaths in the wider area over three days.

    Bobby Clarke told the inquest: "I have 47 years of living with this.

    "I hold myself responsible for two people losing their lives."

    The inquest has heard several accounts of soldiers and others who may have been gunmen, firing in the area.

    Some of the shots have been described as gunshots, others as high velocity rounds.

    Another witness Franics Corr told the inquest on Monday that he "can't live with the pain" of witnessing the deaths of Father Hugh Mullan and Francis Quinn.

    Who were the victims?

    Next on www.bbc.co.uk

    System evaluation: This is  truth  with an error of 50%

    User rating: This is  truth  with an error of 50%

    You can give your personal estimation of the news to underline their conformity to real facts. By voting, you teach the system to distinguish truth and false. Your input will help people get independent view on things happening.

    False
    Truth